Manila, Philippines – Justice Secretary Leila de Lima confirmed on Thursday that Benhur Luy, the whistleblower in the alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam, agreed to be placed under the government’s Witness Protection Program (WPP).
Initially, De Lima offered Luy and his family a government’s protection but he declined.
“I already offered that he and the members of his family be placed under WPP coverage but they turn it down. But because of the series of exposé in a leading newspaper and because this issue has become very sensational, I offered it again through Atty. Levito Baligud and he was able to convince his client to accept our offer,” De Lima said.
On the other hand, Baligud revealed that one of the whistleblowers has an active threat against her.
“A motorcycle-riding person allegedly followed her until she reached her house but we have already addressed that. We are now evaluating if she needs to be secured. We are also considering if they should apply with the WPP,” Baligud said.
Luy exposed an alleged P10 billion pork barrel scam and accused Janet Lim-Napoles and his brother, Renald Lim of JLN Group of Companies where he previously worked, as the persons responsible for the said controversy.
Luy also named five senators and 23 members of the House of Representatives who are involved in the controversial issue.
However, both Napoles and the five lawmakers denied the accusations against them.
Meanwhile, President Benigno Aquino has ordered a fair and widespread investigation on the sensational pork barrel scam.