Home » OFW News » OFW ward at PH shelter alleges sexual abuses, attempted rape by labor envoy’s driver

OFW ward at PH shelter alleges sexual abuses, attempted rape by labor envoy’s driver

Sexual assault. Image courtesy of twocircles.net

Sexual assault. Image courtesy of twocircles.net

A run away and distress woman overseas Filipino worker (OFW) alleges that she and other fellow ward at the Philippine labor-run shelter were sexually abused while she had been a victim of attempted rape by the accused who is no less than the driver of the PH labor envoy based in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, according to Filipino migrants groups.

On her 9-page letter dated August 23, 2012 address to PH labor attaché Adam Musa , OFW GVPS (name initials as she requested her full name be withheld), of legal age from Isabela Province, detailed her allegations of sexual abuses and attempted rape by no less than an employee of PH labor office and a driver of labor attaché Musa.

Migrante-Middle East (M-ME) received a copy of the said letter via email through the officers of the Samahang Ilocano Global Alumni Council (SIGAC), who have provided assistance to the victim, OFW GVPS, which she is a member.

“Sir, ginawa ko po ang sulat para makapagpaliwanag sa biglaang pag-alis sa custody ninyo at para humingi ng hustisya sa nangyari sa akin sa loob ng homebase (referring to the PH labor-run shelter),” stated OFW GVPS on her letter to Labor attaché Musa.

The OFW is accusing a certain Joe Jose ‘Jojo’ Casicas, who serves as the labor envoy’s driver.

“Hindi ko po alam ang intension nya pero nakakaranas po kami ng pangha-harass mula sa kanya tulad ng panghihipo, nanunusok sya ng tagiliran, humahawak sya ng tyan, nangingiliti at nangyayakap at marami pa pong iba,” OFW GVPS stated on her letter.

OFW GVPS alleges that on August 21, 2012 at around 6:15 p.m. in PH labor office in Al-Khobar, the accused told her that they will be going home, but “Nagulat na lang po ako nung bigla po nya akong yakapin at pinaghahalikan sa bibig. Itinaas po nya ang damit ko at nilamas nya ang suso ko,” OFW GPVS narrated.

The said series of incidents forced OFW GVPS to leave the PH labor shelter, and immediately sought assistance to SIGAC officials.

On October 6, 2012, Charlie Rapanut, Chairman and CEO of SIGAC, sent an email to PH ambassador Ezzedin H. Tago bringing to his attention the case and complaint of OFW GVPS, in which Amb. Tago replied the following day confirming that he ‘forwarded copies of your email and letter of OFW GVPS to Labor Attache Musa’ and ‘requested him (referring to Musa) to submit a report on the case of OFW GVPS’.

Months after with no action from PH Ambassador Tago and Labor Attache Musa, Mr. Arnold Dalao, SIGAC secretary-general sent a letter dated January 1, 2013 via email to Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) secretary Rosalinda Baldoz asking the latter to look into the complaint and file administrative and criminal case against Labor attaché Musa’s driver.

The SIGAC official claimed that Labor attaché Musa ‘paid’ OFW GPVS of 10,000 rials to silence her and stop her complaint, a clear attempt of cover up.

According to reports, OFW GVPS is ‘missing’ as she could not be located and not even SIGAC officials knew her whereabouts.

On his part, OFW Join Force-Migrante chairperson Sonny Rivera in the eastern region of Saudi Arabia said they and other Filipino community groups will press DoLE for the termination of Adam Musa’s driver as well as the recall of the labor official.

“These corrupt and abusive PH labor officials should be punished, terminated and sent to jail,” Rivera lamented.

John Leonard Monterona, Migrante-Middle East regional coordinator and Vice-chairperson of MIGRANTE Sectoral party of OFWs and Families, vows that his group and the Filipino communities will bring this matter to PH authorities in Manila and will call for an independent probe on the alleged rampant sexual abuses on OFW wards at Bahay Kalinga or Filipino Workers Resource Centers in Saudi Arabia.

Monterona noted that OFW wards at Bahay Kalinga in Riyadh and Jeddah are also complaining on the inhumane treatment to them by embassy and labor officials. “They reported to us that they could not even use their own mobile phones and lap tops, some alleges that such items were confiscated,” the OFW leader added.

“Nakakabahala na ang ganitong reports at complaints mula mismo sa mga OFW wards na nasa custody ng PH embassy and labor officials. Kung sa loob mismo ng PH shelter may mga hayok sa laman, so di nga ligtas ang mga OFW wards na biktima na nga nang pang-aabuso ng kanilang employer. Dapat etong imbestigahan, may maparusahan at mabigyan ng hustisya ang OFWs na nagre-reklamo,” Monterona lamented. (PR)

About Bryan Cinco

Bryan Cinco Contributing something new!