MANILA, Philippines – Committee headed by Chief Supt. Castro of the CIDG, is recommending charges in administrative case against the 15 PNP officers and personnel, including the former head of the Quezon provincial PNP, who manned the alleged checkpoint in Atimonan, Quezon, which could lead to their dismissal from the service.
A fact finding team has been created by General Alan Purisima, Chief of the Philippine National Police, to investigate the incident that killed 13 men, including an alleged gambling lord, 3 policemen, two airmen (1 officer and an enlisted personnel), and two alleged intelligence agents of ISAFP (but denied by the AFP Intelligence), last January 6.
According to the fact finding committee, the PNP standard operating procedure was violated and excessive forced was used in the said operation.
The doubts were formed due to the position of the dead bodies and the inconsistencies of the report of where the fatalities fired.
“All the facts presented in this case indicate the possibility that an ambush occurred instead of a shootout,” a source told Manila Channel.
The PNP director will get the 4 page report today and submit it to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), which is the leading investigative body of this incident.
Along with the other PNP personnel recommended for inclusion in the charges are: Supt. Hansel Marantan, head of the Calabarzon Regional Special Operations Group (RSOG); Senior Superintendent Valeriano de Leon, who was sacked last week as Quezon police chief; and Chief Inspector Grant Gollod, who was also relieved last week as police chief of Atimonan, Quezon.
A source told Dir. James Melad that the PNP Chief of Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon (Calabarzon), may be spared despite Marantan’s pronouncements that the operation to apprehend Jueteng lord Vic Siman at a checkpoint in Atimonan was cleared with Melad and De Leon.
The fact finding team will also include tampering of the evidences and determining the motives of the killing although the result showed it was a rubout rather than a shootout.
An official told MC: “The report will only enumerate the evidence we gathered at the crime scene, which would be investigated further by the NBI”.