MANILA, Philippines- The continuing word war of mishandling or handling the high-profile suspects between members of the Criminal Investigation Detection Group (CIDG), Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has now reached the ears of President Benigno Aquino III. However, the palace chose to be mum on the issue.
“Let us wait for the investigation if it is going to turn out one way or the other,” Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said.
Lacierda also confirmed that de Lima scheduled an appointment with DILG Secretary Mar Roxas to talk about the issue.
“How can it be messier when the two department heads will be talking to each other? Let us wait for the result of the discussion between Secretary Mar and Secretary Leila,” Lacierda added.
On Thursday, De Lima challenged CIDG head Senior Superintendent Jose Mario Espino to identify the alleged keeper of the recaptured Chinese drug convicts.
“Assuming there is an NBI agent allegedly protecting Jackson Dy, I challenge CIDG to name the agents now, as in now! I will immediately summon him or them and confront him or them with such accusations,” De Lima said.
Otherwise, “they should shut up”, de lima said.
Meanwhile, Senior Supt. Espino said they have intelligence reports stating that an NBI agent had been going to the Chinese drug lord’s apartment in a subdivision in San Juan before the police conducted a raid.
De Lima, however, said the NBI is being attacked now that it is investigating the cases behind the arrest of Dy and the slaying of the two Ozamiz robbery leaders. She also appealed to let the NBI complete the high-profile and sensitive cases.
As justice secretary, De Lima is the immediate head of the National Bureau of Investigation while Roxas supervises the Philippine National Police at the Palace.
Dessa Ruth B. Reyes
Leyte Normal University