Philippine Supreme Court photo from sc.judiciary.gov.ph
Philippine Supreme Court
photo from sc.judiciary.gov.ph

MANILA, Philippines – The Supreme Court (SC) said yesterday in a notice, that it maintained last January 15 its decision in November last year that upheld the Quezon City regional trial court’s (RTC) ruling dropping the case against Mr. Lacson, as the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) failed to include new arguments.

The high court denied the appeal of the OSG to reverse a court ruling dismissing the case against Senator Panfilo “Ping” Lacson and 33 others in the so-called Kuratong Baleleng multiple murder case.

The resolution read, “The court resolved to deny with finality the said motion for reconsideration as the basic issues raised therein have been passed upon by this court and no substantial arguments were presented to warrant the reversal of the questioned decision.”

Last November, SC decided to uphold the 2003 RTC ruling to dismiss the case versus Mr. Lacson and others, prompting the OSG to file a motion for reconsideration.

The RTC judge did not commit grave abuse of discretion in the decision to dismiss the case due to lack of substantial evidence linking the respondents to the crime, according to the ruling penned by Justice Roberto A. Abad.

Then chief of the Philippine National Police, Mr. Lacson and other officers in the obsolete Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force, prominently figured in the alleged rubout in 1995 that killed the members of a criminal syndicate called Kuratong Baleleng Gang.