The position vacated by then Associate Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno is set to be filled by President Benigno Aquino III until 12th of November 2012. Sereno, who was recently appointed as the chief magistrate of the land, left one vacant seat in the 15-person Highest Tribunal.
The Judicial and Bar Coincil (JBC) reported names that are vying for the position and they include:
1. Court of Appeals Presiding Justice Andres Reyes
2. Court of Appeals Associate Justice Noel Tijam
3. Court of Appeals Associate Justice Magdangal De Leon
4. Court of Appeals Associate Justice Isaias Dicdican
5. Court of Appeals Associate Justice Ramon Bato,
6. Securities and Exchange Commissioner Teresita Herbosa,
7. Former Ateneo Law Dean Cesar Villanueva,
8. De La Salle Law Dean Jose Manuel Diokno, and
9. Former Davao City Regional Trial Court Judge Adoracion Avisado
Of the nine, Herbosa, Reyes and Associate Justice Ramon Bato Jr. applied for the position while the rest were nominated or endorsed.
Moreover, three names, namely Diokno, Herbosa and Villanueva, were part of the Chief Justice race but did not make it.
Tasked by the Constitution, the JBC is instructed to screen the nominees and send list to the President, where he then chooses the name to sit for vacant posts in the judiciary and the offices of the Ombudsman and Deputy Ombudsman.
The JBC is yet to set the date for the public interview but noted that Herbosa, Villanueva and Diokno, who were previously interviewed during the search for Chief Justice, need not undergo the same public interview for this particular position. The JBC further announced that they will come up with a longlist within the week.