Former ambassador and 2016 presidential candidate Roy Señeres passed away this morning, 8 February, at the age of 68, due to a heart attack.
The news was confirmed by his son, RJ Señeres, in an interview with GMA News and dzMM.
“Nagulat din kami,” said the younger Señeres. “Ang importante po dito ay he’s already pain-free and he’s resting well.” (We were surprised. The important thing is he’s already pain-free and he’s resting well.)
RJ further added that his father had been battling diabetes, and was admitted to a hospital just last month.
Called a champion of OFWs, Señeres served as an ambassador to the United Arab Emirates and was the representative of the OFW party-list at the time his death. He also filed his certificate of candidacy for president last October, although he withdrew from the race only last Friday, 5 February.
Representatives from various sectors came to offer their condolences to the family of Señeres.
In a statement, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said: “Nakikiramay kami sa kanyang pamilya. Siya ay nagtaguyod sa kapakanan ng mga manggagawa bilang tagapangulo ng NLRC at nang itinalaga siya sa Gitnang Silangan bilang Ambassador.” (We extend our condolences to his family. He stood up for the rights of laborers as president of the NLRC [National Labor Relations Commission] and when he was appointed ambassador to the Middle East.)
Department of Labor and Employment Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz meanwhile recalled Señeres to be a legit public servant who thought about the welfare of Filipinos.
House Speaker Sonny Belmonte also paid tribute to his colleague, saying that Señeres is a “great loss to our overseas Filipino workers’ community, having spent most of his life to champion their concerns as well as those of the labor sector.”