MANILA, Philippines – Approximately 172 members of a pro-autonomy Filipino-Muslim rebel group are now in the hands of the government wherein 36 of them were captured by the government forces yesterday, September 25.

The 36 Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters who surrendered include Enier Misuari who is a nephew of MNLF founder Nur Misuari.
Moreover, these rebels submitted their 23 high-powered firearms to the military.
According to reports, three of them were rushed to the hospital wherein one of them died.
Zamboanga City Police spokesperson Ariel Huesca said that aside from Misuari, others who were arrested are former councilor of Talusan town in Zamboanga Sibugay, Jul Lipai and female MNLF commander Misba Baladji.
On the other hand, Philippine Army’s 7th Civil Relations Group commander Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said that Ustadz Habier Malik, MNLF’s top commander, together with two other rebels declined to surrender to the government forces.
“Malik has not surrendered despite being abandoned by his own men today,” said Cabunoc.
Cabunoc said that right after the MNLF rebels were captured, the fight between the military and the rebels continues at about 10:30 in the morning yesterday which causes a soldier to expire.
The attack in Zamboanga City caused the death of 125 MNLF fighters, 15 soldiers, 5 policemen and 13 civilians.
188 hostages are already rescued by the military where 6 of them were saved on Thursday.
As of press time, 28 to 30 MNLF members are still alive. Sources disclosed that these rebels, with 10 hostages, are in the boundary of the six coastal villages in the city that they left last week.
These hostages are citizens of the six villages.
With this, the government orders the evacuees not to return to their homes and stay in the evacuation centers.
Radio report said that citizens who already reached their homes were instructed by the government forces to leave in two hours.
Written by:
Princess Hayra Brecio de Belen
ABCom, Leyte Normal University