Manila, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) issued subpoenas for 2 Taiwanese and 1 Indonesian in connection to the incident on May 9 where a Taiwanese fisherman, Hung shih-Cheng, was killed by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) at the Balintang Channel.
The prosecutors from the DOJ wrote to Manila Economic and Cultural Office (Meco) Chair Amadeo Perez asking for help in serving the subpoenas on three foreigners as witness to the shooting of Cheng as their boat passed through the Balintang Channel.
The 3 foreigners, Hong Yu Zhi, Hong Jie Zhang and Imam Buchaeri, are being ordered to personally appear before the DOJ at a hearing on September 9, 2pm, where they will pledge to their affidavits.
“Their presence is necessary for them to subscribe and swear to their affidavits about the incident,” said Justice Secretary de Lima.
The May 9 incident was described as “cold-blooded murder” by the President of Taiwan Ma Ying-jeou.
Furthermore, the government of Taiwan had previously cast off the apology from Manila government officials and filed criminal charges against the coastguards involved in the incident.
Meanwhile, on August 7, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) recommended homicide charges against the 8 PCG personnel involved in the said incident, including commanding officer Arnold de la Cruz.
ABCom, Leyte Normal University